Macaroni Cheese with Tuna, Sweetcorn and Peas
Mac and cheese is a family favourite. But have you ever tried it with tuna? This recipe transforms the humble dish (and also sneaks a few extra veggies in there for the kids).
- 1 x 145g canned tuna, drained
- 1 x 300g canned garden peas, drained
- 1 x 326g canned sweetcorn, drained
- 250g macaroni
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 600ml milk
- 250g cheddar, grated
- 50g Parmesan, finely grated
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8–10 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a saucepan slightly larger than that used for the macaroni. Add the flour and stir to form a roux, this will look like a paste, cooking for a few minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, a little at a time. Cook for 10–15 minutes to a thickened and smooth sauce. Add in the tuna, sweetcorn and peas and stir well. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to hot.
- Remove the sauce from the hob, add 175g of the cheese and stir until it is well combined and melted.
- Add the macaroni to the sauce and mix well. Transfer to a deep suitably-sized ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheddar and the parmesan and place the dish under the hot grill.
- Cook until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Enjoy!