Meat Free Lasagne
This hearty one-pot is packed full of our favourite canned vegetables. It's an excellent dish for when you're feeding the whole family. Plus, there's always leftovers.
This delicious recipe was created by Phil Vickery for Love Canned Food.
- 400g (8) dried lasagne sheets
- For the Sauce
- 1 x 400g canned green beans, drained
- 1 x 400g canned chickpeas, drained
- 1 x 400g canned borlotti beans, drained
- 1 x 400g canned chopped tomatoes in juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato puree
- 1 x 10g vegetable stock cube
- 10ml water
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- For the White Sauce
- 600ml milk
- 35g flour
- 40g soft butter
- Salt and pepper
- 75g fresh grated Parmesan cheese (or any cheese)
- Heat the oil and sauté the onions for 15 minutes, then add the garlic cook for a further 2 minutes, until it takes a little colour. Add the flour to soak up the oil mix well.
- Next add the chickpeas, borlotti beans and mix well.
- Add the can of tomatoes, tomato puree, stock cube, water, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, take care it may catch slightly, stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make the white sauce.
- Heat the milk, whilst that is warming, mix the butter and flour together well, then whisk into the simmering milk, it will thicken almost immediately.
- Add salt, pepper and half the cheese then remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Roughly chop the green beans and stir into the tomato sauce.
- Heat the oven to 190°C gas 5.
- Spoon a little bean sauce into baking dish, roughly 25cm x 25cm (slightly smaller if you have one)
- Place over 4 lasagne sheets to cover well.
- Add a layer of white sauce.
- Add a layer of meat sauce.
- Add the final 4 sheets of pasta and finally top with the rest of the white sauce. (if you are freezing freeze at this point)
- Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese and bake in the pre heated oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly before eating with a large green salad.